Monday, July 25, 2011

6 Months PostOp

Hello Everyone! I'm reporting live with a 6 months post-op edition to the JStew Journey.


Let's get things started off in true Biggest Looser form with my infamous Allison Sweeney voice. My starting weight was 342 lbs. and my current weight is ... ... ... beep beep beep ... ... ... beep beep beep ... ... ... (insert commercial break for suspense) ... ... ... beep beep beep ... ... ... 239 lbs for a total weight loss of 103 pounds. That puts me at a total percentage weight loss of 30.12% in a mere six months; talk about life changing!


So many things have happened in the past few months and I know that my life will never be the same again! What a journey it has been: from an extremely obese 23 year old who found day to day task challenging to a 24 year old who is still over weight but still loosing and adjusting to a new way of living.


I am still hitting several road bumps along the way. Nausea is becoming a constant factor in my day to day life. Because of this I am finding my diet extremely limited and bland eating lots of saltines! It is also said that absorption of vital vitamins and minerals can be inhibited which is starting to play a major role in how I feel every day. Several of my vitamins, such as B12 and D are low along with my iron; all of which can lead to malaise and fatigue. It is a daily struggle finding the energy to get up and go to work and once my time at work is over I find myself heading straight for bed from sheer exhaustion!


The number one question I am asked on a daily basis is: "ARE YOU GLAD YOU HAD THE SURGERY DONE?". To be quite honest: NO, not right now anyway... My biggest hang up with this surgery is all of the complications I have endured including severe dehydration, nausea and vomiting, gall stones, abdominal pain, anemia, etc...I am extremely grateful for the weight loss, however (as shocking as this may seem) I still find it hard to notice. From a literal stand point of clothes I can see some difference, but from a physical aspect I do not see much change which I attribute to all of the complications.


When its all said and done, I can not undo that which I have already done. Now I must learn to adapt to this new life and be grateful for the blessing of each breath I take.


"The survival of the fittest is the ageless law of nature, but the fittest are rarely the strong. The fittest are those endowed with the qualifications for adaptation, the ability to accept the inevitable and conform to the unavoidable, to harmonize with existing or changing conditions." I'd rather be fit than strong, how about you?



No comments:

Post a Comment