Thursday, February 10, 2011

I'm hanging in there...

Well folks, it has been 16 days since I went under the knife... What an interesting time it's been to say the least!

I went to see my surgeon today for a follow up appointment. Of course the first thing we did when I got there was step on the scales. And the verdict was: Starting weight of 342 pounds with a current weight of 309.6 pounds for a total weight loss of 32.4 pounds! My surgeon was very pleased, and asked if I was excited about that; I think he was looking for a more excited response, as my simple "I guess so" didn't seem to thrill him. Don't get me wrong, I am pleased about the weight loss; the journey has not been entertaining though. My surgeon reminded me that this surgery effects some people more than others, and I get to be one of the lucky ones that it has attacked.  He assured me that everything would be alright and that I just had to hang in there a little while longer and things would turn around. As far as progress goes: I am moving to stage two of the post op diet meaning I am allowed full liquids. While I am still not at the required 64oz of liquids and 40+ grams of protein a day, my surgeon said it would come with time. I do still have my pic line in because they want to be sure that I do not get dehydrated again and need more fluids. If I do, then they wont have the difficulty of dealing with collapsed veins again, plus I can receive treatment at home if need be. I have also been released to go back to work on Monday with light duty. While it is a little soon and I am not sure that I am ready to go back, it must be done.

Many have already asked me if I would do the surgery over again and can I just say that it is to soon for that question to be asked. My response in this very moment "no way would I do this again". Who honestly enjoys chronic nausea, dehydration, fatigue, weakness...?... While it hasn't been a fun ride thus far, I am hopeful that with time the journey will be worth the ride. Until then, I will tell you all what I told my surgeon: "I'm just trying to chill and stay calm". Here's hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment